Friday 16 March 2012

Simple Clutch Bag


My awesome sister-in-law just had a birthday and I wanted to make something great for her.

It's quite simple to make, though mine is a little floppy...apparently although interfacing looks very similar to felt, it does not work the same way.

Just so you know.


I just cut out two rectangles of fabric and one of felt (though you should really use interfacing!), if you want lave or other embellishments sew them on now. I had ordered some magnetic snaps from ebay, but I was later contacted by ebay warning me not to purchase from this seller.

I'd already paid. So I went ahead and sewed anyway!

Then I sewed the rectangles right sides together with the felt interfacing on the outside. Leave a small gap and turn right side round. Iron and then fold up the bottom just over a third of the way, iron again.

Then sew around the outside, excluding the bottom edge, like you can see in the photo above.


I also made this simple card. Butterflies punched out and mounted with foam squares. I put in in a special box type envelope I found in a set at my local charity shop (it came with two punches, a magazine, tweasers, cards and envelopes for £1.99!).


Then I wrapped it up in brown paper and stitched round the outside and posted it a day late.

I did mention that the flu has been in our house for over two weeks now?

p.s. where do you sewers get your interfacing from? I've never actually seen it for sale anywhere...I know I'm totally out of the proper sewists club.

10 comments:

  1. I get mine super cheap from one of the haunts in Bradford. They sell it in the sewing box in Selby but it's much, much more expensive. I've also bought some on e-bay before now too :) Glad you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interfacing is commonly made by Pellon and others. There is usually a huge section at every fabric store. All employees should know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get it from Boyes,Goole or York,don't ever go to the sewing box it is too expensive for everything,or try Abakhan on line will give you proper address thingy on facebook,Abakhan is good but postage can be expensive,OR just thought on Selby market on a monday near the library side there is a haberdashery stall she should have some she will be cheap,but you do know you can get different strenth's/weights depending on what you need it for,for instance interfacing for clothes may not be strong enough for your clutch bag,but it is all trial and error,now i know you need this info it will be uppermost in my mind so i will look out for you.Loved the bag lovely spring colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing..I LOVE the yellow..:)). Thanks SO much for linking to spring Saturdays.. Very excited you stopped in and really hope you are back this weekend.. Happy Happy Start to your week.. ~xo Marilyn (Co-Host)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the yellow! But I am a sucker for anything yellow:) It's such a cute idea and would make a great gift for someone. I would love for you to share this at my link party
    http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/03/share-it-link-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely gorgeous; I will be making one I think...or one that isn't quite so stylish. Am following now on GFC, would love it if you wanted to pop over and follow back!

    http://craftbotics.blogspot.com

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the yellow with the lace! So pretty!! I would love to have you share this at my link party going on right now and maybe become a new follower! Following you!
    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/03/homemade-by-you-4_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute--I love the polka dots inside! I'm a new follower and would love to have you stop by my brand new blog and follow too, if you'd like. My first link party/give-away is running now through Saturday. I hope you'll come and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking this up last week! It will be featured tomorrow on The Winthrop Chronicles!

    ReplyDelete