Sunday 3 April 2011

Superhero capes

Firstly I just want to thank you all for your lovely comments on my last post, they made me smile all night. And all of the great consolling comments after my admition the other day. You all make my day and especially after bravely showing the mess in my house you have made me feel much more normal! Thank you all! :)

So, there is an amazing blog called made, who have just recently had an 'about the boy' feature. There were some amazing ideas, but the one I loked the best (mostly because it was very simple!) was the cape idea from SIDAC which is so great but actually involves no sewing. Just a large mens top and some scissors! (seriously I made about seven in one night!) She does have a logo on hers but not on the tutorial so I decided to make something up so it looked superheroish.

Oh and so you're not worried the capes are for Izzy's princesses and superheros birthday party where seven boys are coming! (and seven girls I think!)

So I used a star shaped card to draw round with chalk on the scrap bits of t-shirts (I had used three different colours).



And then cut them out, not being too perfect.



Just in case you weren't sure what cutting looked like...

All ready to be sewed.


Not too neat and I haven't ironed them yet, but don't worry you'll be sewing around the edges.



Place where you want on your cape. If you had a few shapes you can just play around 'till you get it how you want, I just wanted mine central.

Then pin.



Yes I may have taken pictures of too many of the easy steps, but now looking at it I realise that instead of rubbing off the chalk lines later I could have simply placed the shape upside-down. See now you have the benifit of my hindsight!

Then sew on a tight zig-zag stitch around the outside of the shape to attatch and prevent fraying.



Then admire your work and show your husband, who for some reason refused to model it for me. So you'll have to settle for another on the table shot.



Or two, 'cos you know you want a close up.


Ready for seven tiny heros running round my little house high on sugar! (I will iron them I promise!)

1 comment:

  1. Such a great idea. My boys fight every day over one of their blankies that makes a great cape. Now they can have their very own cape. So cute...thank you for the idea =)

    ReplyDelete